Ceará is a Brazilian state recognized for the resilience of its people who are constantly facing economic and social survival difficulties, as well as for the beauty of its paradise-like coast of wave-swept beaches. In Ceará, another kind of wave beyond the seas has caused a swell of interest, and that’s M. Dias Branco’s exuberance for offering gastronomic pleasure in the form of delights such as pasta and cookies. From a business venture that emerged as a small bakery, this “wave” caused by M. Dias Branco has washed over Brazil, making it one of the top 10 manufacturers of pasta and cookies in the world.
M. Dias Branco Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos S.A., headquartered in Fortaleza − the capital of Ceará − is a food company that manufactures, markets, and distributes pasta, cookies, wafers, cakes, snacks, toast, wheat flour, margarines, and vegetable fats. Publicly traded since 2006, the company has been growing organically and through major acquisitions, helping to position Brazil as the world’s third largest pasta producer, according to the World Pasta Organization (WPO).
The Group currently has 15 industrial units in the northeast, southeast, and south regions. Among these are seven mills that meet the wheat flour demand for its own production facilities, as well as supplying the wholesale and retail markets. Currently, as one of the largest flour producers in Brazil, 60 % of the production is used in the Group’s own factories, and the remaining 40 % of the flour is distributed to bakeries, other industries and also used for cake mix and household flour production. With over 14,000 employees, the company’s 2018 net revenue was BRL 6 billion (approx. CHF 1.5 billion).